Sunday, May 15, 2011

What's in the food we eat...

A while back a good friend of mine sent me a link to an article that was talking about Red Dye 40 and just how bad it is for us to consume. Well, I read the article. Then I clicked on all the links that were on the article and all the links on those links, etc. Before I knew it, I had listened to reports on CNN, Fox, CBS; I had read blogs, websites, health magazines and newspaper articles. As it turns out, there is a lot more out there than just the red dye that is unhealthy and can cause unwanted side effects.
We need to be more educated on what we are putting into our bodies and our children’s bodies. Not only is this bad for our health but many ingredients in what we are eating can causes headaches, stomach aches, increased hyperactivity, lack of focus, worsened handwriting, increased irritability and agitation, lower self esteem, increased uncontrollable fits of anger, and sleepless nights in about 80% of children and adults. Seriously? Yes, seriously. Even if you or your child is not having any of the symptoms above - if it can effect people in that way - do you really want to consume it?
I have made my list. This is my own personal list of ingredients that I no longer want in my house. I check the labels and this is how you may see them listed. I am sure that there are many other ingredients that we should add but this is where I am starting....
Blue 1 & 2
Green 3
Orange B
Yellow 5 & 6
Red 40 & 3
Carmine
Cochineal
BHT (this is also found in jet fuel)
TBHA
BHA
Artificial Flavor
Artificial Color
Artificial Sweetener
Vanillin
Sodium Nitrate (this chemical is linked to cancer and heart disease)
Not only are these in lots of the foods we eat, but they are also in medicines (Children’s Tylenol, Advil, etc), vitamins, toothpastes, and gum.

The artificial colors and dyes are just put in our food to make it look more appealing. Fruit Loops and Lucky Charms wouldn't look nearly as appealing if they were all off white. And Jello and Fruit Roll-ups wouldn't look nearly as fun if they were clear. What is even more upsetting to me is that the dyes have been banned in the U.K. - but not here in the U.S. In Britain, the strawberry sauce for the sundaes at McDonald's is made with real strawberries but in the states, it's made with Red 40. You know those strawberry Nutri-Grain bars? Made with Red 40. But in Britain, its made with natural food coloring- carrots. In Britain, the regulator has required warning labels on anything that uses Red 40. 

This all may sound overwhelming at first, but honestly, it is really pretty easy. When you go to the grocery, shop shop only the periphery of the store, choosing only whole fruits, vegetables, meats, fish and dairy products. If you live near a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods, you are so fortunate - that makes all this so much easier! They have tons of products that have no artificial, flavors, color or preservatives. 

I will be honest. The hardest part of all this, in my opinion, is getting our children to understand this and be on board. I replaced all their favorite treats with replacements. However, in their opinion, it's not the same, and in some cases, they think doesn't taste as well. Then the number one thing that is hard for them, is apparently, their peers think we are "weird". Several of my girl's friends have actually made fun of them over this. Really? Because we are making healthy choices? I really don't get that at all. Interesting.


I have a second list of ingredients that I am cutting out next - Corn Syrup, High-Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Sugar, MSG, and HVP. Baby steps.


If you are doubtful - give it a try yourself! They say it takes 2-3 weeks of cutting out these ingredients before you notice a positive change going on. It is amazing. I can tell a difference. Once you see the advantages, you won't want to go back. 

1 comment:

  1. So Michelle I would assume that these would be listed in ingredients on the back of the packing? Very interesting information. Would love to know more!

    ReplyDelete