Sunday, May 25, 2014

Day 5

8:00 am - This being a nurse is a full time job! Sorry it's been hard to find the time to update. But I so appreciate everyone checking on her! Ellie ended up drinking 16oz yesterday. Which is not where we need to be (so please keep praying about this) but it is a huge improvement!! I get so excited when she drinks. You would think I had just won the lottery. Overall I would say yesterday was her best day - lots of friend time - which always lifts her spirits.

I kicked Stephen and Olivia and MaryClaire out and made them go to the lake for the weekend. :) I told Ellie that since that didn't end up taking bone from her hip, she will be able to go to the lake much sooner than expected!! She asked if I would take her on Monday. I said yes if you feel like it. So I know her "drive" is still there and that makes me happy. She also asked me if she could go to Wesley's graduation party today (Sunday) for 10 minutes, I said yes if you feel like it. I know these little outings will lift her spirits so I'm all about trying to make them happen as long as she is. We will see how today goes.

Ellie begged me to not wake her up for pain meds throughout the night. I emailed her Dr and asked about that. He said that would be fine to let her sleep. So that is what we did. She woke me up at 3am and asked for some. And at 5 she was stirring around and I asked if it was still hurting and she said no. She's still asleep. She is getting a good night of sleep that is for sure. Sleep does a body good - this is the time that your body heals - while you are asleep. We are grateful she slept well.

She is really getting irritated with the excessive drooling that goes along with this recovery. I had read that you go through towels like crazy - and we are! She keeps a towel around her neck and basically just constantly keeps it up to her mouth to catch the drool. I emailed Dr McKenna last night for her inquiring how long this drooling lasts. Her face still has numbness and she can't close her lips yet so this is why she drools.

So prayers needed... drink up!!!!! Less drool!!!! Continued lifted spirits!!!!! No infections!!!!!!

I'm so extremely grateful for everyone that has helped out by gifts, time, food, love and most importantly praying. Thank you all so much.

4:00 pm - Ellie has been feeling a bit down today. Her pain has not been bad at all - between a 4-5 all day and she has hardly had much pain med at all. I think her spirits are down because today is BGHS graduation day and she is missing it. Then there is the graduation party of a good friend of hers that she is missing tonight. She decided she won't be able to make it tonight :( I am sure when you are 17, and school is out, and all your friends are free and out having fun... it is just hard. I knew there would be good days and bad days - ups and downs. That is life honestly, isn't it? She gets her energy from her friends, that has been very evident in Ellie's life, and that has not changed, she just needs some friend time.

So far today, we are at 10 1/2 ounces. Keeping track of this reminds me of when you have an infant and you keep track of their intake. I am reliving the baby days. :) Our next door neighbors just added on a really beautiful outdoor living space, so I managed to get her to go over there with me to check it out. She needs little outings. She really liked it and wants us to do the same thing at our house. :) (Thanks alot Craig & Debbie - haha)

She did have 2 accomplishments today - one - she was able to close her lips - yay! This enables her to not drool. Her lips and face is still numb so her lips naturally are open but if she makes an effort she can get them to close. And then she drank from one of those little bitty paper cups! It holds exactly 2 oz and it was much quicker than drinking from the syringe. It does make a mess because some of it comes out, but still this is wonderful news.

8:45 pm - 7:00pm -  What started out as a down day has ended as a good day. Ellie had a friend stop by and bring her some dry shampoo which was so sweet (she can bathe but hasn't tackled the shower yet due to her lightheadedness - momma won't let her!) and then had 2 cousin friends from Franklin stop by on their way to the lake. They took Ellie for a ride - went to Sonic. Then they were determined to get Ellie to drink up! They decided to stay and spend the night - such sweet friends. Warmed my heart. So we all cuddled up in blankets and watched Frozen. 

Ellie's swelling is improving. She's still very swollen of course but it does seem better everyday. She's only asked for pain med once today (twice including middle of night) so her pain is doing much better! She gets light headed and dizzy often but I'm sure that's to be expected when you are barely getting intake of nutrients. Her burn has been bothering her some today - she's putting medicine on it now. You know, I'm really proud of her. It's so amazing when you think what she has gone through and what she is going through. She is amazing. I love this girl! My heart is full tonight. Thank you, God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment